Table of Contents
Sometimes, eBay item not received, and you, even as an eBay seller or buyer, also want to resolve this problem as soon as possible. This article will guide you on how to do that in particular steps and is easy to follow.
How to do with eBay item not received as a buyer
#1 Check the delivery information
If your eBay item not received, you should check the delivery details in your eBay account’s Purchase history area. There, you can see the address and estimated delivery date.
What To Do if You provided the Wrong Address?
If you notice in the delivery details that you have provided an incorrect shipping address, you should:
- Get in touch with the seller to check if they can:
- Change the shipping address.
- Cancel your order (you could repurchase the item with the correct address).
- Collect your order at the provided incorrect address (if the seller has sent the package, you cannot alter the address).
#2 What should I do if my eBay item not received?
While there is no need to be worried if your eBay item not received, you must act as soon as possible. What you should do is as follows:
1. Search for the parcel: If your package’s shipment status indicates that it has been delivered, double-check that it has not been left somewhere nearby. We suggest you do the following:
- Check the area around your house because shippers may leave a package at your side or back door, garage, porch, or other location.
- Ask your neighbors since a driver could have given them your parcel in case you were not home.
2. Inform the seller: If the estimated delivery date has passed and you have not received your order, you should notify the online store owners. Here is how you can do that:
- Sign in to your eBay account
- Visit the Purchase history page
- Choose More actions next to your item
- Select I didn’t receive it
- Tick either the box next to I want a refund or the one besides I want the item
- Enter an optional message for the seller
- Click Send request
Ensure you meet the time frame requirements and notify the seller up to 30 days after the expected delivery date. The online store should contact you in three business days with shipping updates and additional instructions.
3. Ask eBay for assistance: If you haven’t heard back from the seller after three business days, you can contact eBay directly and ask for assistance. You have up to 21 days after reporting the problem to the seller to file a request with eBay.
#3 eBay item not received, so are you eligible for a refund?
If you do not receive your eBay package, the seller needs to provide a:
- Refund item
- Replacement item
You can get your money back according to the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy that covers most transactions made on this e-commerce platform.
If you are interested in getting compensation for your transportation costs, you might want to check out how to get an eBay shipping refund.
What to do with eBay item not received as a seller?
#1 What to do when a buyer opens an eBay item not received
If your buyer hasn’t received their item and the estimated delivery date has passed, they’ll let you know there’s an issue by opening an “eBay item not received” request.
A tip for you!
The easiest way to try to address the issue is to communicate with the buyer before he or she asks eBay to open a request. Keep a watch out for messages from your buyers and answer as soon as possible.
If a buyer opens a request, eBay will send a message with all of the details to your registered email address — it’ll also be available in your eBay Messages.
Once a request is opened, you have 3 business days to resolve the issue. After that time, either you or the buyer can ask eBay to step in to help resolve the issue.
A note for seller! When a buyer opens a request, the funds related to the sale may be put on hold. Once the issue is resolved, the hold is lifted and you'll receive your funds in your next scheduled payout.
In the email you received, it will tell the buyer’s issue, select See request details. You’ll find information on whether the buyer is requesting a refund or would prefer to still receive the item. You’ll also see your response options:
1. Add tracking details
If you haven’t already done so, you must provide tracking within 3 business days of the request being opened.
In order to be protected, the tracking must be from one of the shipping carriers integrated with eBay and must include the date you shipped the item, the date it was delivered, and the address it was delivered to.
If the order has a total cost (total of item(s), shipping, and tax) of high-value items (750 USD/CAD/AUD or 450 GBP or 550 EUR or more, depending on where your store is based), it should also show the signature confirmation of the recipient.
To add tracking information, please follow these steps:
- Select Add tracking details and then Continue.
- Enter the tracking number, or if you don’t have it, the date you shipped the item.
- Select the carrier you used from the dropdown list.
- You have the option of adding a note to the buyer.
- Select Add tracking details.
2. Refund the buyer
The buyer will get a full refund, including the original shipping costs.
Select this option if you do not have to track information from one of eBay’s integrated shipping carriers showing that the item was delivered to the address specified in the order or that the product has been in transit for 7 days or more.
To refund your eBay buyer, please follow the below steps:
- Choose Refund the buyer and then Continue.
- You’ll see the refund amount, and you have the option of adding a message to the buyer.
- Select Refund the buyer.
The buyer’s original payment method will be returned, and you may be eligible for a final value fee credit on your next invoice.
In most circumstances, the refund is processed within 3 to 5 business days. However, depending on the buyer’s payment method, it could take up to 30 days.
You can learn more about how refunds work.
3.Send a message to your buyer
You can send the buyer a message if you want to chat with them directly about their problem. If you and the buyer cannot reach an agreement within three business days, you can ask eBay to assist.
However, you may not be protected if you don’t upload tracking from one of the shipping carriers integrated with eBay and there is no acceptance scan showing before the 3 business days expire.
Contact the buyer directly to try to resolve the issue:
- Select Send a message to the buyer.
- On the next page, enter your message and select Send.
If the buyer prefers to have the item rather than receive a refund, use the “Send a message” option to give them a replacement. When you’ve sent the replacement, notify them and submit tracking information to the request.
#2 How to get help from eBay?
If you can’t resolve the buyer’s problem or disagree with their reasons for submitting a request, you can ask eBay for assistance. See the guidelines below to learn how.
In Seller Hub:
- Go to Seller Hub and open the Requests and disputes tab.
- Select See details next to the request.
- Select Report problem or Ask eBay to step in and help, and follow the instructions from there.
In My eBay Sold:
- Find the order in My eBay Sold and select View request details.
- Select Ask eBay to step in and help, and follow the instructions from there.
#3 What happens after you ask eBay to step in?
eBay will review the details and get back to you and the buyer with a resolution within 48 hours:
- If eBay closes the case in your favor, the case will be closed immediately and you won’t need to do anything else.
- If eBay closes in the buyer’s favor, eBay will issue them a full refund and then seek reimbursement from you. You won’t receive a final value fee credit if this happens and you may also receive a defect, which may affect your seller standards.
If you don’t agree with the decision, you can appeal by providing new information within 30 days of the case being closed.
#4 How to appeal eBay’s decision?
If you disagree with the result after eBay participated to help you and your buyer resolve a problem, you can appeal by producing new information within 30 days of the case being closed.
When you submit an appeal, eBay will analyze the case and any new evidence you give before reaching a conclusion. They usually respond within 48 hours, however, it may take a bit longer on rare occasions.
You’ll need to provide new, additional information to back up your appeal. This can include things like:
- Tracking details showing the buyer received the item before the case was closed. If the order’s total cost is high, signature confirmation is required.
- Proof the buyer received a refund before the case was closed.
Follow these steps to start an appeal:
- Go to your Seller Dashboard.
- Expand Closed without seller resolution to see your options.
- Select See cases and find the item in the list.
- Select See details and then send an appeal.
With this post, hopefully, you can gain basic knowledge about eBay policies and learn how to deal with the issue that eBay item not received as a buyer or as a seller. Wish you get happy shopping experience!